Friday, March 22, 2019

Beta Cover Time!!! #barrioblues

I am really excited about the beta cover above, not because it's a masterpiece, but because I finally bought Photo Shop!  Actually, I bought the whole suite with a monthly subscription.  Well, as it turns out, I haven't completely lost my skills.  I was pretty good with the software over ten years ago, when I was a web designer.  Yeah, that too.  The program is a lot easier to use, but a class in graphic design wouldn't hurt.  I can take one for free this summer.  In any case, I can vastly improve all of the covers on my books, even with the skills I have. 

Enough of that.  About the cover design.  I decided to have the word Zona placed vertically because it’s more visually appealing.  The photo by lalesh aldarwish also has a macabre feel to it, which I like; I gave the artist a small donation because we artists have to stick together.  For the first time, I am incorporating a pull quote, but it needs more edge.  Would “A hero junkie will rise from the streets” draw you in as a reader?  I am not 100% sold on it, but I like where it is placed.

So, it's down to the wire, and I am going over my story "Zona 5" like a boss!  I also got great feedback regarding the dialogue of my characters and other aspects of the story.  I was told to have the narrator curse less, and I remembered the piece "Cold Little Bird."  The narrator can have edge and not curse like a sailor; the occasional expletive was enough.  I also decided to remove the swearing from the narration because it is not first-person point of view.  Anyway, I still love the story, which is why I need beta readers.  It's like dating someone for the first time, and everything is wonderful, wonderful. Ha ha ha.

Finally, I invite you once again to my first-ever virtual book-release party where I will be reading part of my story. The April 1 party will be Live Streamed via Facebook.  I also have author Todd Heldt lined up to speak at this first or my larger book party, tentatively scheduled for Saturday, April 13.  (It really depends on who is taking care of the kids, I think, as we both have small children.)  The second, April 13, party will be a hybrid face-to-face Live Streamed party because I am going to imbibe spirits after I read and really celebrate my book Not Your Abuelita's Folktales.  That is a book I plan to publish through Ingram and Amazon in the hopes that libraries will take it.

Well, have a great day getting perspective on your writing, even if it hurts.

Write, write, write and thank your support team!  #barrioblues.

No comments:

Post a Comment