Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Cross Post: Staying True to My Writing Goal: No Writing, No Social Media

I haven't blogged for a while, not because I haven't wanted to blog or had something to write about.  I mean, so much is going, and we need to respond against stupid ideas.  No.  I have been true to my writing goal of not blogging or getting on social media if I don't work on the novel.

This week, I have been reading short stories because I have to for my creative writing course, but I have been analyzing what other writers do well along with my students.  Today, I took a closer look at "Speech Sounds" by Octavia Butler.  In that story, she did an amazing job of using the third person, and still had a great deal of action.  (As I write, the kids are making noise.  One is climbing on my arm.)

I have been thinking about character development, but I really just need to spend time thinking about my story and writing.  Yesterday, I had a chance to write for a block of time, but I made homemade pizzas instead.  What the hell.

On Monday, I also gave a talk on "Alternative Facts".  As I was working on the presentation, it just kept getting longer and longer.  Other speakers spoke about water protectors in South Dakota and what to do next.  Really, the last one spoke about the history of fascism and the historical  moment we find ourselves in.  The event was well received, and I hope more students will attend in the future.

I imagine a lot of people are speaking and writing against fascism right now, even one of my heroes Stephen King who has a wide audience.  His Tweets area funny, but true.

The struggle will be ongoing, but I will try to refocus and get back to the novel on a regular basis, while still actively resisting.

Write, write, write, and always #Resist.  The times call nothing else.

http://www.barrioblues.com/un-blog-de-writing-musings/staying-true-to-my-writing-goal-no-writing-no-social-media

No comments:

Post a Comment