Monday, October 22, 2018

Signs of Life a.k.a. Don't Let Sales Bring You Down #barrioblues

I'm going to write about something taboo, I suspect. But, screw it.  It happens to everybody who self-publishes, I suspect.  Maybe even folks who publish traditionally get these blues.  You stare at your sales and wonder why they have flat lined.  Surely your book merits a download or two.  What is wrong with people?

Well, like the amateur that I am, I started to let the lack of sales bum me out.  Then, I sold four copies!  All is well in the Jesú universe again.

What really troubles me, of course, is when I find a gem like Jukebox Loser that hasn't gotten much exposure.  How can that happen to such a great book?  I have my books being advertised on at least four independent sites and Amazon, and  I know more needs to be done.

Anyway, I also uplifted my own spirits because I had been complaining that I can't get up in the mornings to write.  So, I decided to sit my butt on the chair and just go.  I am currently working on The Awakening (#3 in La Bruja del Barrio Loco Series).  It is another speculative fiction piece about witchcraft, but it takes place in the future.  Stay tuned.  I'm not giving myself arbitrary deadlines, just putting books out in their due time.

Well, I am about to pester the designer of my last book because even though it looks cool in print, the e-book cover is hard to read digitally.  I may have to go with the white font color altogether.  I also am working with my friend who took the author photos.  He is going to do me a solid and design the cover of my short story collection for free because my union could go on strike, and I did invest way too much money on the last four books.  (Don't ask me how much.)

Uplift yourself and keep writing!  #barrioblues        

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dr. Estrada,
    I am Dan of the editorial team of JustFiction Publishing, a publishing house specializing in publishing novels, fiction, poetry and short stories of all genres from new, aspiring and experienced authors.
    Would you consider starting a conversation about possibly publishing your work with us, if you have other writings like this? You can reach me at d.(my surname)@(my website minus www).com
    I'd be delighted to tell you more about us!

    ReplyDelete