Thursday, May 04, 2017

Cross Post: Still Writing and Making Different Choices for My Novella and Short Story Collection

I know it's been a while, since I blogged.  The Union and teaching has kept me really busy, but I actually have not been slacking off in terms of my writing.  I am back on a regular writing schedule and working on my novel The HarvestPlus, I found an editor for my longer fiction pieces, which is a huge step forward in my writing path.

I also have a new editor for my novella La Bruja del Barrio Loco; that awesome friend is Eric Allen Yankee.  He is giving me a "friend discount" for editing my work, like my other friend Adam Gottlieb who is editing my short story collection Down South where the Water Is Warm.

So, I invited Yankee to come talk to my creative writing class about digital versus print publications.  You can see the talk here:  https://www.facebook.com/eric.yankee.90/videos/10213283231220953/

It was a phenomenal talk, seriously.  I hope to bring him back again, so we can do a step-by-step process as many of my students should publish their work.  I learned great information about Amazon and pricing online books.  He had great suggestions I plan on taking.  One was to separate the short story collection into two parts.  In the digital revolution, volume and frequency of publications are the way to go.  He also suggested that I publish a novella every six weeks.  I am up for that challenge since I plan to serialize La Bruja del Barrio Loco stories and already have the second one in the works.  I was also considering putting La Bruja del Barrio Loco in my collection of short stories, but that would defeat the purpose of serializing the novellas.  I am so stoked because I learned novellas are in!  What?!

I suppose that's just a sigh that people are really busy in this modern age.  But that's good for me because I can crank out novellas and tend to write long short stories anyway.

Well, keep on doing what you love and be a kind human being!  #Resist

No comments:

Post a Comment