Thursday, April 01, 2010

Conflict, Struggle, Resolution

Today, I found an old exercise on my lap top.  I called it the "duck exercise."  I have no idea what the duck exercise is, but what I found was a really great short story I had started a couple of years ago titled, "Ducks will do What They Must."  The title is stupid.  But the story itself is pretty good.

In it, I tried to write about what I know.  However, I failed to incorporate what a good story needs:  (Tip 1) A journey must take place or a stranger come into town.  I didn't make that one up.  That one came from other writing teachers/experts.  But, if you think about it, most great stories have one of these factors.  My story is about a loser who has decided to follow her writing dream.  (I know, I know.)  There are strangers, but they come in too late and don't add anything to the plot.  So, (Tip 2, my tip) Not any old stranger will do.  They must move plots and possibly mountains.

The other thing the story lacks is (Tip 3) conflict, struggle, and resolution.  No, I didn't make that one up either.  Neelson Peery did (author of Black Fire and Black Radical).  All great works of literature have this dynamic or else they would be boring.  Example.  Little Steven needs to get milk from the corner store.  If all Steven does is get milk from the store, big deal.  If on the way, seven year old Steven runs into a pitbull and runs away safely, only to be robbed of his five dollars, then, we have conflict and struggle.

(To the right, my large screen that will help with the writing.  He he.)

Resolution?  Maybe he will beg for money or else his mom will beat the living daylights out of him because she's a mean drunk.  Much better than little Steve getting the milk and The End.

My story needs conflict, struggle, and resolution that escalates.  Or else, it's a just a bunch of words with witty dialogue and poorly developed characters.  And, that is my main writing goal for today and the tip that I will follow.

Well, my infant is staring at the screen, and since I don't want his I.Q. to drop, I'm off to change his diaper and think.  (Tip 4:  Don't let your busy schedule orphan your writerly work.  Think about it.)

On a totally random note, I was going to call this blog Barrio Blues, but that was already taken.  However, Border-ed was not.  I might buy the domain, if I get serious.  Is it worth it?  Oh, and shit, I finally posted my first post!  On my first blog!  Hot damn.  (Husband, if you're reading this, can I read you my story tonight?)

(Below, my assistant editors.  Almost four months old.)

2 comments:

  1. Conflict, Struggle, Resolution says it all. Please continue to write with passion as the material comes to life in your words. And what a wonderful life I have being married to one of the most special souls in my lifetime.
    From your loving husband, Aaron.

    ReplyDelete