Monday, January 16, 2017

Cross Post: The Second Main Character in The Harvest: A Novel, Excerpt pp. 29-38 (single spaced)

I was going to write a long blog post about point of view.  I hopped ahead in my sharing and decided to post the second point of view, I am working on now, which is the other main character in The Harvest, the novel I'm drafting. (He is the only main Latino in this piece, but he is vastly disconnected from his roots.)

However, as I was debating what to write, I decided the third person point of view would be OK, as long as the characters were developed well and the setting was different, at the setting will necessarily will be because Ashley will be in the belly of the beast and Alan in the margins for a time.  Their pats will not cross for a long while.  In general, I find switching from first to third person to be tedious and cumbersome, at least in the novels I have read where authors do this switch, but I did it on accident anyway. In fact, I didn't realize I did it until I read over the draft this morning.  The past tense also bores me to no end, so both sections are in the present tense.

Like all of the posts I share, this is a draft, even though as I have written this novel numerous times.  It’s a fresh rewrite with echoes of past drafts, and I like it a lot better.  It's clunky and simplified, but I like where it is going.

This section focuses on the tattered revolutionaries that are not really all that effective, and Alan's awakening.  Let me know what you think.

(Keep reading to take a look-see at the novel excerpt)  http://www.barrioblues.com/un-blog-de-writing-musings/the-second-main-character-in-the-harvest-a-novel-excerpt-pp-29-38-single-spaced

No comments:

Post a Comment