Sunday, June 08, 2014

Finally Compiled My Anthology

I know that is rather presumptuous for someone who has only published short stories in university journals and online.  But, I figured, what the hell.  I have had short stories and novellas piling up on my computer, and I haven't sent anything out in ages, which is something I also hope to do this summer.

Right now, I have two people giving me feedback, one hopefully editing it for a small fee.  I also have a friend designing the cover.  I want a picture of a sunrise on it, but will settle for a dessert flower.  (Oh my God, I just had a brilliant idea of heading to the Botanical Gardens and having him snap pictures of the cactus.  The readers don't have to know it's not AZ, right?) 

But, I'm getting ahead of myself.  I think most of the stories are pretty good and merit being read by a wide audience.  I have edited most of them, and am in the process of revising them thoroughly, which means deleting the lines I'm in love with and working on conflict, struggle, and resolution patterns.  They are short, so I can't kill too many characters, but I have a tendency to have stories nested within stories.  Perhaps, I should simplify some of those. 

I am doing what all the amateurs are doing, going through the process of polishing the work, copy writing, getting an ISBN number, and publishing on Amazon and through an online service that sells books.  Now, I'm not hoping to make it big or even sell.  Hell, I doubt the final product will be more than $.99. 

Mostly, I want to go through the full process and get back on a writing schedule, which unlike before, I actually have time for this summer.  Due to my classes being cancelled, I actually have time to write and rewrite.  I can even write when my son is preoccupied doing other things (he is now four) and still play mom.  Housewife, perhaps not as ideally as I would like, but my husband doesn't care.  Thank God.

He fully supports my efforts and all my crazy projects.  Lately, I have been very focused on getting healthy, instead of other pursuits.  I am happy to report that I lost nearly 40 pounds after having my first son, and due to illnesses and flat out laziness have gained back 20 pounds.  However, I just read a blog by JA Konrath who is the king of digital publishing http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2005-06-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2005-07-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=11 and damn if that didn't motivate me to get back to the gym!  I have a reading in a couple of weeks, and I need to pick excerpts to share with a friendly audience.  While I may not be able to do anything about the big belly and fat margin, ahem, I will certainly try to look nice and am even going to restyle my hair.  (Yes, I am working on my amateur image and may even buy a pair of glasses that are sitting at the doctor's office.  I have been too broke to get them.) 

But, my focus is back on writing, and my motivation is high.  I also have a scheduled launch date, which is late July 2014.

In the mean time, my plan is to word vomit for two hours a day and edit for one.  I am one of those disgusting writers that can produce a lot of decent work in a short time.  And that is that my  non-existent followers.  That is the plan and the road map. 

I know that if I want to make a good go of this, I have to work my butt off.  The traditionalists, of which I consider myself one, those who would favor printed text are telling me this is a bad idea, but at the same time offering me advice on presses to go with.  One even flat out said that if I published digitally or printed my own books, no mainstream bookstore would ever, ever take my work.  I would be lucky if privately owned bookstores took my books at all, even on consignment.  After all, I am a "nobody".

Yet, I know myself; if I go that traditional route, and by some miracle someone does pick up my book, by the time that press does, I will be teaching and swamped with work and essays to grade.

I am not hoping to make a career out of this, just devote some time to it every day and maybe peddle books and do gigs on weekends, if I get the opportunity.  I know I need to even cyber-peddle.  There it is.  This book will take hard work, one way or the other.

I do have other writing projects I am working on.  I have a sci-fi book I have written once and was taking a second go at after changing the gender of the narrator.  Well, I had an epiphany.  Please don't laugh.  I thought, "Why not write to my strengths and make the narrator a young Chicana?"  Duh.  So, I am restarting the book again and changing the ethnicity of the protagonist.  I am also doing what a serious writer should do and not word just vomiting and falling in love with my work, but mapping the novel out--first.

Well, I'm off to read about book covers.  I am also committed to working on this blog every day and building a wider network of support, although I have to say my current real-time network is pretty good!  

No comments:

Post a Comment