Monday, June 30, 2014

My First Reading Saturday

I don't mean to brag, but the reading went really well last Saturday.  (I had not read in over ten years.)  Of course, it did not help that I went after some giants of poetry like Matt Sedillo who is an amazing performer, but the crowd responded very well to my story, and I got a lot of sincere compliments afterward.

That night, I started off with a joke, "I haven't read in a while, but I hope it's like sex because I'm pretty good at that." Ha ha ha.  It was a friendly audience, and the members laughed appropriately.  Then I gave a short narrative on the historical context of the piece and my father's work as a farm worker and dove right in.  

In the end, I went with the first piece in the anthology, "Down South Where the Water is Warm."  I had to cut out about three pages, so I could make my time limit, but the story was surprisingly coherent.  At first when I read it, I thought some sections were redundant, but I realized that was actually fine for a story being read out loud.  The story also contains great onomatopoeia, and that also improved the reading.

All in all, I was quite pleased with the results, and I hope to read again soon!

(Images are coming as soon as the photographer processes them.)

For now, here is a funny pic.




No comments:

Post a Comment